Drug and alcohol abuse is a worldwide problem with far reaching effects on society. A new report conducted recently came back with some figures that are quite startling. The study found that there are an estimated 200 million people worldwide use illegal drugs, reports the LA Times.
Here are the numbers:
- 125 to 203 million people use marijuana
- 14 million to 56 million use amphetamines
- 12 million to 21 million use opioids
- 14 million to 21 million use cocaine
- 11 million to 21 million inject drugs
- An estimated 15 million to 39 million are considered problem drug users
Researchers found that illegal drug use is the worst in developed countries, with a number of people using more than one substance.
The figures on loss of life are not to pleasing, according to the World Health Organization, in 2004:
- Drugs caused 2.1 million years of life lost
- Alcohol caused a loss of 1.5 million years