It is important that you stay in close contact with your sponsor and/or recovery network - the people you see day in and day out at your home group. Keep your cell phone charged, so that if problem does arise help is only a phone call away. It is always easier to make a phone call before a relapse than it is to make afterwards.
There will be meetings happening over the course of the day, make sure that you attend at least one - especially if you are having a hard time. It is a safe bet that others are struggling as well. One of the beautiful aspects of recovery is that we draw strength from each other, you never know who is going to share something that will help you with what you are dealing with. And conversely, what you say may help another with their issues.
Here are a few tips to help you get through thanksgiving:
- If you attend a party, LEAVE EARLY! Don’t overexpose yourself to alcohol.
- Make a gratitude list, be thankful for what you have in recovery.
- Plan out your day, lest you find yourself in a risky situation.
- Have realistic expectations, do not set yourself up to be let down.
- Don’t attend holiday parties ALONE.
- Meetings, Meetings, Meetings...